NAAS Score 2018

                   5.36

Declaration Format

Please download DeclarationForm and submit along with manuscript.

UserOnline

Free counters!

Previous Next

Dietary Supplementation of Fermented Fish Silage in Broiler Japanese Quails (Coturnix coturnix japonica) – A Review

Sasmita Panda Laxman Kumar Babu Arun Kumar Panda Tanuja S Kuldeep Kumar Panigrahy
Vol 7(3), 31-48
DOI- http://dx.doi.org/10.5455/ijlr.20170306091640

With increasing demand and competition in the poultry sector, quail farming is making an impressive debut among the poultry farmers. A remarkable increase in the population of quails has been noticed in India according to livestock census (2012). Further research regarding the cost-effective ways of quail feeding and rearing is the need of the hour to explore this unexplored area of Indian poultry farming. India accounts for 5.68% of the global fish production. Indian Aquaculture is extremely promising and has grown over around seven fold in the last two decades with freshwater aquaculture contributing over 95% of the total aquaculture production. It is estimated that only 40% of the raw material is utilized for human consumption. The remaining 60% of the raw material is considered processing waste and can be utilized for low-valued products. Fish silage is a liquid product produced from the whole fish or parts of it, to which acids, enzymes or, lactic acid producing bacteria are added, with the liquefaction of the mass provoked by the action of enzymes from the fish. After collection and processing of fish wastes, fermented fish silage (FFS) is prepared by adding jaggery to the paste. The decrease in pH below 4.5 during fermentation is responsible for preservation of the product. The dry matter, crude protein, crude fat and total ash percentage of fermented fish silage estimated are 40.55±0.52%, 15.56±0.53%, 33±2.26%, 4±0.34% and 25.39+0.29 %, 38.97+1.46 %, 38.75+1.06 %, 4.56 ± 0.23% respectively. The various studies regarding the use of fish silage based diet in poultry concludes that the supplementation of fermented fish silage is adequate enough to meet the normal protein requirements of different poultry birds and the body weight, body weight gain, feed conversion ratio and percentage of carcass yield did not show any significant difference by the dietary inclusion of fish silage compared to control diet in most of the commercial poultry birds. The balanced protein, fat and mineral content of the fish silage could be made use of in preparation of poultry, fish and livestock feed as well as fertilizer. Therefore supplementation of fish silage in the poultry ration would not only increase the revenue without compromising the nutritional status, feed efficiency, growth, serum biochemistry and overall performance of birds but this practice would also help the fish industry to increase their income and provide a safe methodology to mitigate the pollution generated from fish waste.

Keywords : Fermented Fish Silage (FFS) Japanese Quails Performance Carcass Characteristics Serum Biochemistry Economics

Full Text Read : 394 Downloads : 60
Previous Next
Close